St Mary’s has a ring of 10 bells.
The construction of the Parish and Priory Church of St Mary the Virgin started in 1070 and the tower was completed 1470. In 1770 a new ring of bells was installed by Pack and Chapman of London tenor weight 20cwt 9lbs
The first peal was rung on 26th December, 1777. There is a stone tablet commemorating the peal which is headed “The Art is Great The Music Sweet”
By 1912 bells had become unringable.
Princess Beatrice the Governor of the Isle of Wight allowed the private grounds at Carisbrooke Castle to be used for a grand bazaar which raised £626.17s.31/2d towards the restoration costs. The bells were cast by Gillett and Johnston in Croydon on 23rd April, 1921.
Whitechapel Foundry cast 2 new trebles on Gillett and Johnson profiles in 2002 to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.
The 10 bells were rung for the first time on 18th May 2002.
Interested in learning more?
The ringers would love to hear from you!
Contact Mary Blake on (01983) 521526 or send an email to email@example.com